Tech Bytes & Smart Resources
Discovery Streaming Closed Caption Files
When you download a Discovery Streaming video that has closed captions, you will also need to download the CC (closed caption) file so that you will be able to see the words scroll at the bottom of the video when it is playing. Closed Captions will assist ELL students, struggling readers and can be used to emphasize grammar and vocabulary.
Instructions on downloading and editing the Closed Caption file can be found here.
Using the Elmo Document Camera to Create Digital Video
By attaching a digital camera to USB cable from the Elmo document camera to your laptop, digital video files can be created and saved to your desktop or shared with staff and students. The USB cable that came with your document camera is gray. One end will fit into the USB port of your laptop. The other end will fit into the port in the base of the Elmo document camera. If you do not see Elmo software on your computer, please send a tech request to D205 Tech Services.
Handout: Elmo Document Camera Setup for Video
Document Cameras in the Classroom
Document cameras are becoming more and more available in classrooms. If you have one available to you and are ready for some new ideas on how to use a document camera in the classroom, check out some of these online resources:
Find Sounds Search Engine
Sounds can help clarify some words for ELL students. They can also add to a podcast, digital story or poem and many other student or teacher created projects. Find Sounds search engine will search for terms that you enter and return a variety of audio tracks that can be downloaded and used in your digital work.
Be sure to follow copyright rules when using any type of media.
SMART Board Resources
Getting Started with SMART Boards
- Smart Exchange - Sign up to receive your free username and password! Click on Training to view resources and great 2 minute videos to learn more about Notebook Software.
- Teachers Love Smart Boards
- Have Fun Teaching
- Using the digital ink layer
- Virtual Manipulatives
- Using Elmo's ImageMate Software with Notebook 11
- The Smart Board Revolution
- DuPage County SMART User Group
- November 13, 2012, 4:00 - 6:00, Villa Park School District, Jackson Middle School, 301 West Jackson, Villa Park; Cost: None
- 45 Minute Getting Started Sessions and Half-Day Workshops have been made available to all staff receiving SMART Boards
- A SMART Board professional learning opportunity will be announced soon for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Online Videos
- Smart 2 Minute Videos
- Langwitches Blog: Students Becoming Teachers Using SmartBoard Software
- SMART Video Contest Winner
- SMART Board Reading Activity with Starfall
- Using the Smart Board in the High School English Class
- High School Social Studies teacher using SMART Board
Other Interactive White Board Resources
SMART PE Response Units
- 2 Minute Tutorials
- Quick Reference Sheets
Resources for the tablet users at D205....
- Getting to Know Windows Journal
- MS One Note Home Page
- Math Train TV - Student Created Videos
- One Note 2007
- Tablets and Windows Journal
- Tips and Tricks with Windows Journal
Virtual Teacher Network
Building a Personal Learning Network (PLN) is an important part of 21st century learning. The District 205 Virtual Teacher Network is meant to support teachers as they collaborate with teachers and other professionals within and outside of our community. Suggested and available tools are: